Now that Valentine’s Day is officially over, and your honey is looking at your love handles with anything but love, let’s get back to basics. This dish is hands down my favorite way to eat healthy—indulging in some chicken and vegetables in a creamy sauce, over…pasta?
Well, it’s not exactly pasta, but the zucchini makes a killer stand-in. It will also help you get thru those “I need a bowl of pasta” carb cravings that come from watching what you eat. Since the sauce is warm, and not hot, you can prepare some of the ingredients ahead of time, then reheat to finish and assemble when it’s time for dinner.
Remember, save a Bear; eat my food instead!
Creamy Tarragon Chicken Breast with Zucchini “Papardelle”
4 Chicken Breasts, boneless & skinless
3-4 Medium Zucchini
½ Red Onion, sliced thin
8 Romas, halved and seeded
2 Tbsp. fresh Rosemary, minced
2 Tbsp. fresh Thyme, minced
2 cups Lo-fat Plain Yogurt
3 Tbsp. fresh Tarragon, minced
4 cloves Garlic, minced
Heavy Pinch Cayenne Pepper
Pinch Smoked Paprika
Pinch Garlic Powder
Kosher Salt & Black Pepper
- Preheat grill to medium-high, and broiler to high.
- In a mixing bowl, combine yogurt, fresh tarragon, paprika, and garlic powder. Whisk well to combine. Reserve.
- Combine ½ cup olive oil with ¼ of the minced garlic, salt & pepper, whisking well to combine.
- Trim chicken of any excess fat, and butterfly pieces out so they lay relatively flat. Add chicken to garlic oil mixture and reserve until ready to cook.
- Wash zucchini and trim off top and bottom ends. Using a mandolin, slice lengthwise into 1/8thinch thick strips, cutting only until you begin to see seeds. Then rotate a quarter turn and repeat until you have sliced all four sides. (If you do not have a mandolin, you can slice the zucchini by hand…just be careful.)
- Cut each of the seeded tomato halves into six bite-size pieces.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine ½ cup olive oil with the rosemary, thyme, remaining garlic, cayenne pepper, and salt & pepper. Add all of the zucchini strips, tomato halves, and sliced red onion, and toss well to coat. Remove from bowl, draining excess oil, and transfer to a single layer on a baking sheet.
- Grill chicken over medium-high heat for about 4-5 minutes per side. Remove from grill directly into the bowl of yogurt sauce.
- Broil veggies on highest rack of oven under high broiler for about 5 minutes, then mix well and turn, lay out in another single layer, and broil about 3-5 minutes, or until zucchini is tender.
- Remove chicken breast from yogurt sauce and reserve. Toss the broiled veggies in the sauce and then transfer to serving plates. Place one of the chicken breasts on top of each pile of veggies.
- Drizzle any remaining sauce over the plates and serve while still warm.